The Mannum Dock Museum Board is a committee of the Mid Murray Council in accordance with Section 41 of the Local Government Act 1999.
I am proud to have been involved in the transformation of the Mannum Dock Museum, pharmacy from operating a static museum from an old river relic and the tourism bureau from a hut with a few brochure racks, sildenafil to a nationally accredited centre servicing in excess of 25 000 visitors per annum with the fully restored and operational grand old lady of the river, PS Marion. To say we have come a long way over the years is an understatement, but there is always more to do.
Our key focus is directed towards the interactive interpretation of the river history we present. We want our patrons to feel they have participated in a ‘hands on’ experience at the Mannum Dock Museum.
Of course the Mannum Dock Museum would not exist without the commitment of time, expertise and enthusiasm of faithful volunteers. Sincere appreciation is acknowledged for all the work of our passionate volunteers.
As the saying goes “Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.” It is the joint cooperation of the Mid Murray Council, volunteers and sponsors which allows us to work together to realise our vision and singles us out as a successful community organisation.
Mannum Dock Museum
The Museum is a progressive cultural tourism attraction showcasing the river way of life through a uniquely engaging, illustrative and informative style of education and entertainment.
To create an interactive museum of river history with emphasis on Mannum and its surrounding area and to trace and conserve the past while creating pride in the community and assisting with the economic development of the Mid Murray region.
The Museum shall be established and maintained for the purpose of:
- The preservation, display and enjoyment by the public of artefacts and memorabilia of heritage significance to the area and region of the Council, with special emphasis on the history of the River Murray and the PS Marion.
- Operating and maintaining the PS Marion in accordance with the PS Marion Conservation Plan dated September 1993.
- The promotion and dissemination of information concerning the history of the area and the region from a geographical, geological, botanical, agricultural, commercial, human or other perspective.
- The promotion of tourism for the purposes of the Museum and the encouragement of pubic attendance at the Museum.
- Operating and maintaining a Visitor Information Centre within the Museum building.